Sunday, August 12, 2012

Re-examining Mindsets

I was raised in a house where nothing was worn on Sunday morning except your nicest. And for me, that meant a dress. Never slacks, even when it was really cold outside. Of course, when I was growing up, there weren't that many women wearing slacks on Sunday morning. I didn't think much about it.
Now that I'm grown up (I guess being almost 30, I am, aren't I?), I still follow that rule. My husband doesn't mind either way, but I know he likes the way I look in a dress. I overheard a couple of ladies talking about shopping after services on Wednesday night so I went over to join their conversation. They were complaining about how hard it is to find anything modest and nice to wear anymore. I, who know how to use a sewing machine, hadn't thought about the fact that someone larger than I am (and I usually wear a 4 or 6, if you must know) would have as hard a time finding something dressy to wear as I do. I mean, they make a LOT of immodest clothing for skinny people and even though I'm not completely in love with my body, I know it's still skinny. I didn't realize that there was as much for people in the bigger sizes, too. I am so blessed because of my sewing abilities and hand-me-downs from friends who decided they'll never fit into these things again after having baby #1/2/3/4 . . . and my ability to be able to find a skirt here and a top there that I can tell is going to go together. And even if it doesn't fit perfectly, I can alter most things to fit better or be more modest if they're too low cut.
This is the first time that I guess I realized a lot of women wear slacks on Sunday mornings now because they can't find anything else that is modest enough for them to feel comfortable in. I always considered the pants side of it, never the modest side. Does that make sense? And please don't think that I judged them harshly for wearing pants. I didn't understand it, as my grandmothers would never dare set foot in a church building in pants on Sunday morning so I didn't realize anyone in the generation between them and my parents would. I was glad they were there, whatever they wore. I just didn't realize that their reason for wearing pants wasn't because they felt themselves liberated enough to do so . . . it was because there's nothing out there that works as well. (And yes, I realize this doesn't cover all women everywhere, but it probably covers more than I ever thought about.)
Who wants to help me start a modest clothing line for older women? I've been thoroughly reminded to stop jumping to conclusions. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. There are lots of modest clothes for heavier women.... believe me. I have lots of dresses and nice skirts that i have bought at both lower end stores and at nicer department stores.

    ReplyDelete