Monday, March 14, 2011

Luke 1:37

I teach second grade on Sunday mornings and this was our memory verse for last week.  Don't want to look it up?  Let me quote it to you:  "For nothing will be impossible with God."
We had used it as our memory verse for the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, DO go look that one up because it's one of my favorite Elijah stories -- I Kings 18.
BUT, as I'm doing my Bible reading this morning, I'm using the English Standard version of The One Year Bible.  I like the way it's arranged because it has for every day, a snippet of the old testament, a snippet of the new testament, and a psalm and a proverb.  Today's new testament snippet was from Luke 1 where we're getting into what some people refer to as the Christmas story.  The angel is telling Mary that she's going to have a baby and she asks how since she is a virgin.  The proof he offers is that her cousin, Elizabeth, who is older, is now six months pregnant, and he says, "For nothing is impossible with God."  I've heard that verse my whole life, but I think that's the first time it dawned on me that it refers to two different women getting pregnant miraculously.  And I know that every pregnancy is miraculous in its own way because it's creating a new life, a new soul.  But sometimes, it is more miraculous than others.  Like, in having Elizabeth, who could not get pregnant, get pregnant.  And the day I discover that I'm pregnant, this verse will echo in my mind, because of the miracle of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment