Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Comfort Food

My husband and I have different thoughts on what comfort food actually is.  I love casseroles, could eat soup EVERY DAY of the year, love gravy, love vegetables.  He is meat and potatoes . . . and that's pretty much it.
However, when we found out yesterday that the offer we got on our house was probably as good as it was going to get despite not being enough to pay everything -- and that we had to come up with $1900 to bring to closing instead of the $200 we were hoping for -- I needed comfort food last night.  For one thing, we're selling our first house.  For another, I'm sick and tired of being in debt and still haven't gotten hired by anyone so I see no way out of this easily.
Anyway, when I thought comfort food, I thought chicken gravy over mashed potatoes.  Sounds good, right?  Gravy is something I've perfect over the last few years.  When we first got married, my gravy was lumpy AND runny, if that's at all possible.  Now, I'm pretty good at making it creamy and thick.  Mmm.  Makes me want some right now.
So, I took some of the leftover chicken, some onions, some carrots and some margarine and sauteed them in my skillet a bit.  Then, I added some chicken broth and a slurry I'd mixed up (milk and flour).  Perfect.  Stir in some English peas and it's my kind of thing.  I mashed the potatoes and called Jeremy into the kitchen.  He ate it, but I could see him making a face with every bite of pea/carrot/onion.  To me, it was perfect.
Especially when I finished off the rest of the ice cream a couple hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment