Thursday, October 30, 2008

Poly C

When the doctor looked at my test results, she told me I probably have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I had sort of figured that out by myself and given that diagnosis to Jeremy and some friends, but it was pretty scary to hear it from someone who KNOWS way more than I do. I had just been reading article after article trying to figure out why my periods were so messed up. I came across this one (http://www.babyzone.com/mom_dad/womens_health/pcos/article/living-with-pcos-pg2#bm4) and here are the symptoms they list for PCOS.

Common PCOS Symptoms:
Irregular periods
Heavy/prolonged periods
Absent periods
Ovarian cysts
Irregular or absent ovulation
Hirsutism (excess facial/body hair)
Alopecia (male-pattern hair loss)
Insulin resistance
Weight problems
Adult acne
Skin tags
Acanthosis nigricans (brown skin patches, often found on the nape of the neck)
High cholesterol levels
High blood pressure
Exhaustion and/or lack of mental alertness (especially at end of day)
Decreased sex drive
High levels of "male" hormones such as androgens, DHEAS, or testosterone
Infertility
Decreased breast size
Enlarged clitoris (considered rare)
Enlarged ovaries
Enlarged uterus
Migraines (less recognized, not well studied)
Depression (may be caused by hormonal imbalances or as a result of suffering symptoms which adversely affect self-esteem)

I've highlighted the ones in red that were most noticable in me. And the ones in green are the ones I have a little bit. Obviously, I don't have excess weight gain or high blood pressure or anything. And the usual people with this "disease" are usually more overweight. I don't think I've even had a cyst before. But you can't deny the first three. As to the excess facial hair . . . that's the part I hate most. I'd always had one or two little coarse black hairs on my chin that I just keep plucked. But since getting off of birth control, I've noticed a few more above my lip, too. And I'm not the only one who's noticed. Several of the kids at school look at me and say, "Why do you have a mustache?" I'm totally embarrassed and totally upset by it. It doesn't bother Jeremy, but I guess my self-esteem is lower than it should be. I know it's silly to worry about a little hair -- and lots of women have hair above their lips. But that's the part I hate the most about having Poly C.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, SISTER! Please do not think you are alone in your "facial hair" dilemma! I've had darker facial hair (okay, I'll say it...a mustache) since I was in elementary school. When I was in 3rd grade, I had a kid tell me so. I was horrified...I still hate it...but now I just wax:)

    Next time a kid asks you that, ask them, "Why do you smell disgusting?" That will teach them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think more women battle facial hair than any of us realize. i keep tweezers in the van to pluck my neck hairs out at stoplights

    ReplyDelete