Friday, May 7, 2010

Just a Nail

I've never really hurt myself before. In my almost 28 years of existence, I've had no broken bones, no surgeries, nothing really more invasive than a yearly check-up with my "girl doctor." So, when I stepped on a nail in my backyard last night, I knew it hurt and I'd have to get a tetanus shot, but wasn't really expecting more than that. I head to the doctor this morning, the nurse gives me the shot, and the doctor tells me she wants and x-ray to see if anything's broken in my foot or if it hurt the bone, she wants me to wear a post-op shoe, she wants me on antibiotics and also prescribed vicadin. Whoa. Wait a minute. This isn't me. I've never had to do that kind of thing before. She was a little surprised I'd never taken any pain meds stronger than Aleve, but what can I say? This is obviously the worst thing I've ever done to my body . . . and it was just a nail!

No comments:

Post a Comment