Thursday, May 20, 2010

Worry-wart

All my life I've been a worrier. I like to say I get it from my dad who got it from his mom. It just feels sometimes like if you don't lie awake at night, worrying about worst case scenarios, then you haven't really invested enough of yourself into whatever you're worrying about. However, I've been working on that. The Bible says worry is a sin and I believe it. It's just a hard habit to let go of.
The other night, however, it was not me up worrying, but my sweet husband. You know, the one who always teases me about my worries. He's really stressed out about finding a new job for the fall. With this economy you never know if a job will open up or not so he's applying for every teaching job he can find in the area and checking all the Texas Christian School websites several times a day . . . even on Sundays when there is no way they'd be updated . . . trying to find something. I came out to ask if he was coming to bed anytime soon and could tell we were in for a long night. I don't really remember exactly what all was said, but I told him to stop worrying for the night and get some sleep. He gave me this look like, "YOU are telling ME not to worry?" And I said, "I'm not worried about anything right now."
After I said it, I realized it was true.
What a concept! I've actually given all my worries to God and let Him keep them! I fret a bit about my husband and how stressed he's making himself. I stress a bit when bills come due, or mornings like this morning that force me into getting new glasses earlier than I had planned to (stupid frames that break after only two years of hard wear and tear! :-) ). But I'm really not worried right now. I can finally sing with all my heart, "It is well with my soul." And that's a song I can't always sing with all honesty. Such a nice feeling. Now, to keep up letting God take care of the worries so I can try to be a better Christian everyday . . . and the wife my husband needs as he worries through all this stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment