Friday, September 24, 2010

Rethinking

I've been meaning to post this for a while now.  My mom graciously got me a subscription to Christian Woman Magazine when I asked for it last year.  I really did think I'd read it more than I have, but I do usually skim through it and read several articles.  The most recent one had a very interesting article on birth control.  Evidently, this girl had to go in and have an ultrasound while using birth control because it was making her develop a tumor.  While in there, the ultrasound tech noticed she was ovulating (I still can't figure out how they can tell what all those blobs are, but I'm glad they can).  Anyway, she was surprised to hear this since she was on the pill and not supposed to be ovulating . . . so she started doing some research on birth control.  Come to find out, birth control works three ways.  I knew about the first two but not the third.  Evidently, it tricks your body into not ovulating, changes the texture of your mucus so the sperm can't reach the eggs just in case you do ovulate . . . AND it makes the lining of your uterus where a fertilized egg can't implant.  Wait, what?  I'm okay with the first two, but the third one threw me for a loop.  I mean, isn't that saying that it aborts a baby?  That's basically the point she was making in her article.  Totally something to rethink.  I have a feeling after I go through the rest of this month of birth control, I won't be on it again for a while as it sort of defeats the purpose of trying to get pregnant and I'm only on it to kick-start my system again anyway (which worked, by the way -- yay and boo at the same time).  But if I ever do decide to go back on the pill in the future, I'm definitely going to have some long talks with my OBGYN to see what she thinks about this new knowledge I have.  I'm not sure I like it.  Definitely rethinking my being okay with the pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment