Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cold Water

I've got to admit I lead a sheltered life. . . I do.  And I like my sheltered life.  I worked at a Christian preschool and a Christian after-school care program and go to church.  That's what I do during the school year.  The craziest I get is when I do things related to my home-sales job where I help a host who is not a Christian or at our team meetings when some of those girls aren't Christians, and even that is only one night every now and then.  So, when I go back to my summer job, at a day camp, which is run by members of the Baptist church but not necessarily Christian, it's a bit like jumping into the pool in the morning -- cold water!  I have to remember that not everyone has a great aversion to the expression, "Oh my god!" or "OMG!"  I hate those by the way.  Literally can't stand them.  They make my skin crawl.  Not to mention what else some of the other counselors say . . .  I have to remember that not everyone has a daddy like I do who would not let me out in public if any of my belly showed, even in a swimsuit.  I have to remember that some people go out and have a few drinks when they turn 21 just because they can. . . even if I didn't.  And I have to remember the verse, "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord.  Do not touch what is unclean and I will receive you."  (2 Corinthians 6:17)  Just because I have to hear those things all day doesn't mean I have to repeat them.  I just wish I didn't have to hear them all day.

1 comment:

  1. At preschool this year I was constantly correcting the kids when they said "Oh my god!" The worst was what they all started saying at the end of the year. What the........ There were days when I couldn't hold back my frustration with them saying that. So yep, it's bad. Ya know when the preacher did a sermon on using God's name in vain? I really wish he had used those the OMG in his sermon because I don't think some people get that that is wrong. Even saying gosh. Sorry. Longer comment than I intended. Those phrases and lack of clothing or tight clothing are a big pet peeve of mine. And I really like the verse you used up there. I will try to remember that. =) Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete