Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Feelings on VBS

I love VBS.  My Dad lead it every year when I was growing up and I can remembering singing "Booster, Booster" and "I Got the Joy, Joy, Joy" and "If I Were a Butterfly" with my Dad.  The cookies and koolaide were always a great part.  But most of all, the Bible stories were what I remember.
We walked into the church building today and saw the decorations that have already been put up for the VBS that starts next Sunday night.  But instead of it being about Bible stories, all I saw were paper waves and beaches.  I've really had to rework my mind the last few years at this congregation (which we love) to realize that sometimes they focus more on the theme than other places I've been in the past.  It's just a really big pet peeve of mine when people focus mostly on the theme of a VBS and throw the Bible stories in as a half-hearted last thought.  I know they don't think they're doing it that way, but it's feeling more and more like that's what's happening.  The decorations and t-shirts and crafts are all focused on the beachy surfer theme instead of the Bible stories.  What are the kids going to remember?  Are they going to remember the silly songs and stories or that they made a really cool sun-visor?  I honestly don't know what crafts we're doing this year, even though I'm supposed to be helping do them in the class I'm helping with.  That's just an example.
Anyway, sorry for my rant, but it's just really frustrating to me to see this trend as it continues and grows.  I worry about the future and what kinds of Vacation Bible School my kids are going to have.

1 comment: