Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pooled Faith

I know they always talk about pooled ignorance, but I have been experiencing something else lately: pooled faith. My faith has waivered a bit lately. It's not that I don't believe in God, because how can I not see Him everywhere when I work with kids every day? It's that my faith has waivered in His answering prayers. I cry and pray to Him, asking Him why I have to go through this; why all my friends seem to be able to get pregnant, but not me; why He is allowing this to go on and on. I don't really expect an answer as to the why, at least not yet. But . . . still. I had a long talk with Him the other night and told Him everything about how I was feeling: about how mad I was at Him and the girls who were getting pregnant, about my jealousies and my anger, about my broken heart and the fact that I have trouble finding hope in my life anymore. I didn't yell at Him -- but I "let Him have it," so to speak. He's strong enough to take my anger. And most of it seems to have gone away after that prayer.
Anyway, what do you do for a weak faith? You read your Bible and spend more time talking with God and surround yourself with friends who share a like faith. The friends are what I'm getting to. I have friends who have babies. I have friends who are pregnant. I have friends who never got to physically have a baby, but adopted. I have friends who were told they would never get pregnant and then had two kids. And I love them all. But the last two have helped me more lately than the first two -- they can empathize with my situation, my frustrations, my hatred of the medicine and required sex days. They can empathize with my broken heart which hurts a little more every month. They can empathize with me not wanting to go to all these baby showers, or even church sometimes. And they encourage me to keep my faith. I look at how much they went through and how strong their faith is now. Maybe that's why God is "letting" this happen to me. Maybe He wants me to have a faith as strong as theirs is. Either way, I'm glad I can borrow some of my friends' faith as I struggle with my own right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment