Friday, February 6, 2009

Romantically Inclined

Even though our first date wasn't until February 9th, we officially decided we were in L-U-V love 8 years ago tomorrow, February 7th. To me, that date is more special than the 14th. Want to hear the story?
I met him when he was dating my friend, Kristen, first semester of my freshman year. She dumped him, by the way. He didn't leave her for me. We informed each other the night of the election that we would never marry someone like the other one. I'm learning to never say never. Anyway, towards the end of the semester, he was sitting in the lobby with Stefanie, and I had moved out there to be with others while I worked on my huge charcoal art project (I don't think I'll ever do charcoal again). He and Stefanie were talking about planning a "spontaneous" date for three months from that day (December 7th). I piped up and said I wanted one, too. We agreed on the Friday closest to two months from that day. I went home over Christmas and didn't think much more of it. I do remember telling my Uncle Tim that I had found a guy that reminded me of him. He told me to beware such boys.
I came back to school and got back into the swing of things. I had our date on the calendar, but didn't really see him much. Then, one night, my suitemate, Erin, came in and told me that boy I was friends with was wandering alone through the Commons. Something inside of me was sad at that thought so I went out and found him and we talked for a while. He started riding to church with my friends because his car died. As we spent more and more time together, I liked having him as a friend, but we were still adamant about staying just that. . . nothing more. I remember someone asking if we were dating because she said we looked alike. We denied it vehemently. That was about February 6th, if I remember correctly.
It was lectureship week and my dad and grandfather were on campus, along with thousands of other people. I remember he skipped Greek to stay through a boring lecture with me -- I think he wanted to skip Greek more than just be with me, but I can imagine what I want. We went to the Wednesday night lecture together and stayed for Pickin' and Singin'. What can be more fun than silly bluegrass? He had his hands on the arm of the chair and for some reason, one slipped off and landed on my knee. I quickly slid my hand under it because I did NOT want someone touching my legs! Instead of him moving his hand, though, he twined his fingers through mine and our hands stayed that way until we left for Clayton Chapel Singing (actually on the tennis courts instead of in Clayton Chapel that night because of how many came). We sat on the cold tennis courts and sang. I scooted closer to him because he had no jacket and I figured he was cold. Right before the prayer, they announced that my dorm mother had had a stroke and had been taken to the emergency room. Jeremy put his arm around me as we bowed our heads to pray and pulled me close to his side. I could hear his heart beating more than I could hear the prayer. When the "amen" was said, we looked at each other and said, "We need to talk."
Outside the lobby of my dorm, he leaned against the wall. We sort of hummed and hahhed. And I think I asked him where this was going. He said, "I don't know." I said, "I don't know, either." But we agreed we wanted to find out where it was going. So, we decided maybe we would date each other. We also agreed not to tell anyone for awhile -- except we let ourselves have three people each, just so we wouldn't burst. Silly us. I'll write about our first date later because that's a fun story, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment