Thursday, December 4, 2008

No Place Like Home

I know the saying is that "Home is where the heart is." In most ways, that is true. However, this Christmas is the first Christmas I'll be returning "home" to somewhere I've never lived before and have only visited once. Most of you already know that my parents were uprooted once more this summer and found work in Vivian, LA (just north of Shreveport). It's a nice little town and they are very happy there. However, the last time I made it to Harrisburg, AR, where they were living, was last Christmas. I graduated high school there. I was married there. Both of my siblings graduated high school there. We'd considered there to be home for about 9 years. Needless to say, it felt like home. It's not that it won't be nice to see my parents this Christmas in their new home in Vivian, and the church there is great, and very loving. But part of my heart will wish to be back in Harrisburg, hugging my loved ones there, too.
Of course, we're also traveling to Memphis for several days (with a trip to Atlanta to see Jeremy's grandparents in the middle of it), and that is home, too. I guess my heart is looking for things to be sad about this Christmas. And I need to get over it! I don't want to be a bah humbug for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment