Friday, October 15, 2010

It's All About Sex

Got your attention, didn't I?  Want to know what I'm talking about?

GLEE.

Yep.  That's right.  I'm talking about a tv show.  One that I've been watching.  But will no longer be watching anymore.

Even though the whole nation (world?) is in love with this show, and it has fun music and occasionally has neat and fun plot points, really it's all about sex.  And I can't stand it anymore.  If it's not the teachers -- yes teachers! -- talking about/acting on sex, then it's the high schoolers.

I just don't understand.  I started watching Secret Life of an American Teenager for maybe half a season and couldn't go any further because it was all about sex.  Now, it's Glee.  Why do these high school shows think that high school is the following:  at least one "gay" guy, one pregnant teenage girl, one bad boy, at least one bad girl, a nice boy, and then various and sundry other kids, but all of the above are only thinking about sex.  I don't remember sex being that big when I was in high school.  Has it changed that much in 10 years?  Is it that different in big cities than in small towns?  Or is television just completely and totally obsessed with sex and nothing else?

Maybe it's because in Ladies' Class we're doing this study called Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate.  It's a really good study, even though some of it is harder to take in than others.  Or maybe I'm just maturing as a Christian in general.  But I can't handle watching sin like that anymore.  So, I will give up my love of the fun music because I can't stand to be watching it and then glance up to see two girls making out . . . or a "gay" guy making moves on another guy.  It's just not something I want in my head.  Or my heart.  Or my house.

So, out with the Glee.  It's off my DVR.  It's out of my life.  I don't need more sin in my world.  Give me a good clean high school program . . . maybe that's why I like "High School Musical" 1, 2, and 3 so much.  It's just fun.  Good, clean, high school program with music.  Why can't Glee be more like that?  And less about sex?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think things are much different, time-wise - people referred to my high school graduating class as "The Maternity Ward" for a reason. It's weird that people I graduated with have kids who are teenagers now.

    And I've never watched Glee - for the precise reason you've mentioned. I've heard it's fun, but filthy and you know, there's really no reason to choose filth in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am much older than you and also from a small town. I remember there being three girls in the class before me who either had babies prior to graduation or were showing during graduation. I remember being in middle school and kids talking about sex. Unfortunately we live in a society were sex sells.

    On another note, I have NEVER watched an episode of Glee. I don't care for musicals.

    ReplyDelete