Sunday, October 10, 2010

Waiting

That's what the sermon this morning was about -- waiting.  Something I definitely know a thing or two about.  We started trying to get pregnant 3 years and 2 months ago.  My husband lost his job a year and a half ago.  I'm waiting.  Waiting on God.
Not easy, by the way.  As the preacher pointed out, we can wait on God or we can go do whatever we want to and then let God fix whatever we've done to mess up the plan He had for us in the first place.  I'm not sure that it's always God's plan or a mistake.  I think God takes our decisions and then uses us wherever we put ourselves, in whatever situation we're in.  After all, we do have free will.  And only being able to do His will would take that away from us.  But that doesn't mean He can't use our decisions for the good. 
Sometimes, it's hard to know how He's using us at the time.  Right now, I'm not sure why I'm where I am.  Why am I working four jobs (preschool teacher Tues/Thurs mornings, after-school activities director Mon through Fri, home-sales, and taking in sewing/making jewelry) instead of being a stay-at-home mom?  Why is my husband working a job he hates, with hours that are not always easy to live with, even though he's gone through all this work to make himself more hire-able as a teacher?  I have no idea.  But we are.  And we're waiting for our prayers to be answered.
But I will point out something that a lot of people don't seem to realize or accept -- God answers every prayer.  Sometimes, He says yes.  Sometimes, He says wait.  Sometimes, He says No.  Not easy to accept, but still true.  So, please quit saying that we're waiting on God to answer prayers.  He always answers.  I'm preaching to myself, too.  Reminding myself.  God's either telling me wait or no right now.  I choose to think it's wait.  After all, the persistent widow got her way in the Bible.  So, I'm going to continue to be persistent in my prayers as I wait.
And I'll continue to sing one of my favorite songs (Teach Me Lord to Wait), which quotes one of my favorite verses (Isaiah 40:28-31).  Here are the words to the song:

Teach me Lord to wait

Down on my knees.

Help humble my pride

Answer my pleas.

Teach me not to rely

On what others do,

But to wait in prayer

For an answer from you.


Teach me Lord to wait

While hearts are aflame.

Help me humble my pride

And call on Your name.

Keep my mind renewed

Keep my eyes on the Thee.

Help me be on earth

What you want me to be.



Those who wait upon the Lord

Shall renew their strength.

They shall mount up with wings like eagles.

They shall run and not be weary.

They shall walk and not faint.

Teach me Lord, Teach me Lord, to wait.

 
And to end, another verse, Psalm 27:14.  "Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!"  And yes, when the preacher told us to "wait on the Lord," this morning, I knew automatically what verse he was going to quote because I've read it so many times over the last 10 or so years.

No comments:

Post a Comment