Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Cyst Full of Hope

So, I'm sure not many people would consider a cyst a good thing . . . especially one that ruptured.  But here is my story.

A couple weeks ago, on a Saturday evening, I started having some major sharp pains in my lower abdomen.  I went ahead and took a shower, not really thinking a lot about it, but I knew they were then.  When I started to black out and feel nauseated, I turned off the water and sat down on the floor beside the tub.  I thought maybe I was just a little over heated until I lost part of my dinner.  I wrapped a towel around me and walked out and told Jeremy something was wrong and to look up my symptoms on Webmd.  I'm not about to go to the emergency room if I don't have to.  When he started listing off the options of what it might be and said cyst, I called my sister.  She confirmed that she had had those symptoms with a cyst in the past.  I took some painkillers, used a heating pad and made it through the night.
The pain wasn't as bad Sunday (although sneezing about killed me) and was almost completely gone Monday.  I called the doctor anyway (otherwise my husband would have killed me) and asked if I should come in.  She got me in that afternoon.  We talked about it and I told her my suspiscions.  She did an ultrasound to see if that was probably what it was.  She told me my right ovary looked great and then moved to the left.  Sure enough, there was some fluid where a cyst had ruptured.  Then, she said something that had my doing a double-take.
She told me I had ovulated.
What?  I didn't think that was possible?  I mean, I'm not on birth control or anything, but really?  All by myself?  Four weeks after I had thought I ovulated, I ovulated?  Whoa!
I really thought that God had given me the cyst just so I could know that.  And maybe He did.  But we still didn't get pregnant.  I didn't post about this sooner, partly because of time constraints and partly because I was really hoping it would have a better ending.  I really thought it would be fun to give everyone in the family "world's greatest Grandpa/Grandma/Nana/Granddaddy/Aunt/Uncle" stuff for Christmas.  Alas.  Not to be again.
But there is still hope.  I, who thought she needed fertility treatments to ovulate, did it without them.  Now, to work on our timing. . .

1 comment:

  1. That is really good Amy.. you know I want it to work out for you.. :)

    ReplyDelete